And that's a wrap! The first Be The Light 5K is in the books!
Women's Top Finishers:
1) Carrie DellaRipa, 2) Jennifer Herring, 3) Sharry Ulbrich
Men's Top Finishers:
1) Oscar Orozco, 2) Jeff Ambos, 3) Kyle Robinson
For now, we want to thank the following groups and individuals for making our inaugural event a smashing success!
CORPORATE & BUSINESS SPONSORS
- Origami Prints
- Yoga with Cara
- Mark White - GEM Mortgage
GOODS & LABOR
- STORM Track Club - Chip timing
- AMR - Medical standby
- Fire in Motion - For the Medical and Support Vehicles
- Various fire and law enforcement volunteers; fire department cadets
- RoadID - Race Bibs
- Jason - for lighting
- Paul Parkinson - The ID Group - For photos
- Valley Produce Market: All the Water & Oranges
- Golden Spoon - free small ice cream coupon
- Dana Spautz at L.A. County Parks
- Patrick Downing at City of Santa Clarita
- Evan Thomason - City of Santa Clarita Communications
- SCVNews - Other outlets...
- Runner’s Lane - Packet pickup
- Santa Clarita Running Company
- Santa Clarita Runners Club
- Churches: Real Life, Heart of the Canyons, Higher Vision, NorthPark Community, to name a few
- Glen Haven Memorial Park - setup and tear-down
THE ALOH FAMILY - For inspiring this great work; you are doing the heavy lifting of recovery, day in and day out!
Let's Face the SCV Drug Problem
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Department reported 20 heroin-related deaths for 2012 & 2013. While the data show a current decrease in the rates of new users, many SCV families are now coping with a son or daughter's substance abuse or other self-destructive behavior (e.g., cutting, eating disorders). This is where A Light of Hope has been hard at work in our community.
What is A Light of Hope (ALOH)?
A Light of Hope Support Center, Inc. is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to providing healing and freedom for youth 14-26 years of age. They offer support-group and counseling options to serve the needs of individuals and families in recovery.
ALOH strives to facilitate, inspire, and celebrate personal growth and spiritual development.
A Night Run You Will Never Forget
We're taking a stand against the devastation caused by drug and alcohol abuse and other self-destructive behaviors by raising much-needed funds to support the work of A Light of Hope in our community. 100% of the profit from registration fees and all donations will benefit ALOH.
As the sun sets on Santa Clarita, we will turn our headlamps and flashlights on for our run/walk along the San Francisquito Creek Trail. Beams of light will create a visual show of community support and love. Young people in recovery—along with moms, dads, and siblings—will witness this powerful reminder that they are not alone, and that where there is light, there is hope.