Date & Time
Saturday, September 30
6:00PM - 10K Run Starts (sun is low, but still light out)
7:00PM - 5K Nighttime Run/Walk Starts
West Creek Park (map)
24247 Village Circle Drive
Valencia, CA 91354
About the Course
The 5K course is a loop that encompasses both sides of the San Francisquito Creek Trail between Copperhill Drive and Decoro Drive. The run/walk starts where the trail adjoins West Creek Park in Valencia. Runners and walkers will head south on the trail, cross the bridge at Decoro Drive, then head north on the trail, crossing back over at Copperhill Drive. Participants will continue south, ending with a dramatic nighttime finish at West Creek Park.
The 10K course uses the same route; however, participants will run the 5K course in reverse and then encounter a turnabout chute, which then sends them back in the regular direction to complete the course.
Virtually the entire course is on the exquisitely paved and fenced San Francisquito Creek Trail. There are no traffic crossings to contend with. Around the half-mile mark you'll face a steep but very short (~30 yards long) grade to get from the trail to the bridge at Decoro Drive; otherwise, no hill climbing. With the exception of a slight, gradual upward grade on the northbound leg, the course is mainly flat. You'll enjoy a slight downhill path for the final mile!
5:30PM Arrive and Enjoy Festivities
6:00-7:00PM 10K Run
6:20-6:50PM Program and 5K Instructions
7:00PM 5K Run/Walk Starts
8:00PM Winner Awards & Wrap-Up
Fee: 5K (Run or Walk):
$30 - Youth (under 18)
$40 - Adults
Fee: 10K (Run Only*):
$35 - Youth (under 18)
$45 - Adults
* 10K participants must register as "runner" and have a minimum pace of 10 min/mi.
Results and Awards
- Medals (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) will be awarded to overall top finishers and to top finishers by sex/age-group (e.g., M1-11, M12-17, M18-24, M25-34, M35-44, and so on).
- Trophies will be awarded to the top 3 fastest teams overall, under U.S. cross-country style scoring.
- All runners and walkers will receive a finisher's medal at the finish line.
- Only participants registered as runners will receive a posted, chip-timed result.
- Participants registered as "walkers" will not receive a timed result.
- Only first-place medals will be awarded to overall top finishers and to top finishers by sex/age-group (e.g., M1-11, M12-17, M18-24, M25-34, M35-44, and so on).
- All runners will receive a finisher's medal at the finish line.
- Runners only - Minimum 10 min/mi pace
- No 2nd or 3rd place medals, but all results will be posted.
- No cross-country style team competition.
What to Bring/Wear
The theme of this run is "Be the Light," so make sure you have a headlamp or compact flashlight to light up the trail. We suspect that in late September it will still be fairly warm at sundown. However, if in doubt, bring a light jacket.
NOTE: Strollers are permitted. We cannot allow skateboards, scooters, bikes, or other vehicles, motorized or not, on the course. Dogs on leashes are welcome.
NOTE: West Creek Park sits directly behind Rio Norte Jr. High.
From Interstate 5 Freeway
1. Get off at Magic Mountain Parkway
- If Northbound 5 - turn left at offramp and under freeway
- If Southbound 5 (from Castaic) - turn right at offramp
2. Right on The Old Road
3. Right on Rye Canyon/Copperhill Dr
4. Right on Rio Norte Drive
5. Arrive at West Creek Park (just past the Jr. High)
From McBean Parkway (Valencia)
1. Head north on McBean Parkway (to the end)
2. Left on Copperhill Drive
3. Left on Rio Norte Drive
4. Arrive at West Creek Park (just past the Jr. High)